Total Pageviews

Monday 13 December 2010

Just a Spot of Light Reading

Today was the 321's first official day of ground school (GS) which involved us meeting at the lounge area in the Academy at 0845, then followed by a presentation introducing us to the course and outlining what we had ahead of us and also what is expected from both OAA and Airlines in the way of results to exams, both in GS and the practical flight exams in the latter stages of the course. We then had two GS lessons in the afternoon, Piston Engines (PE) and Human Performance and Limitations (HPL). I feel my blog will slowly and surely fill with acronyms...

We were also issued with our CRP-5 flight computers which was all rather exciting and something I had been looking forward to!

We were taken to our classroom, which will be unchanged for each subject for the first six weeks or so I believe, by Pete Pitcher (Chief Ground Instructor or CGI) who is a fantastically British ex-military man and was very funny and settled whatever apprehension I had about the following six months. "Whoever says they like or enjoy GS, quite frankly, is a pervert" was one of many.

We then had lunch until 1415 which was followed by a lesson on PE with Mr Terry Hulmes, which basically involved Newton's Law's, Boyle's Law, Combined Gas Law etc. So mainly physics and will definitely require some reciting and absorption. This was then followed by a lesson on HPL, with Mr Dave Hind, again, like Terry and Pete, he was ex-military and like the other two, funny and very engaging.

I can already sense that due to the fast pace of even our first lessons, this is going to be one hectic and intense first six months, but being back learning again, learning something I have dreamed of learning all my life, is absolute bliss.

Oh and this is what I meant about a spot of light reading, I have six months to cover it...

No comments:

Post a Comment