Total Pageviews

Thursday 6 October 2011

First in AZ

Today made me realise why I had slaved over what seemed like endless ground school material, hours and hours of work and having to bounce back from  failing an exam. As you may have already gathered, I had my first flight in the PA28-161 aircraft (registration: N398H) out of Goodyear with a duration of 00:50 minutes.

We took off from runway 21 and headed out to Rainbow Valley, South of Buckeye. We performed general handling manoeuvres and the lesson was a basic familiarisation session. I controlled the plane in the air and on the ground however, my flight instructor landed us back on safe ground for me, especially with the variable crosswinds!

Map of KGYR Surroundings (Aforementioned Rainbow Valley approx due South of Buckeye)

I also got to back-seat with one of my good friends, Sari, on his flight which consisted of right hand closed traffic circuits, whereby you take off, turn right at 90 degrees, fly for approximately 1 minute, then turn right 90 degrees and fly parallel  to the runway in the opposite direction in which you have just taken off. Then repeat and descend at the end of the downwind leg so you are effectively flying in a circle, once you land flaps come up, full power is restored and you repeat.

Life out here is so much fun. The heat, the lifestyle and the planes are a recipe for fun, fun and more fun. There seem to be parties round the pool fairly often and the 323 initiation party is on this weekend. The organisers, 322, have been to Walmart and bought beer on what can only be described as an American scale. I know it's going to be a great night as I know how much time and finance has been put into the event!

Anyway, my next flight is on Saturday morning at 0745, however I will be back seating my Dutch flight partner's flight which takes off at 0600, so early night for me tomorrow I think!

I will sign off and leave you with a little video I took of Sari's circuits from this afternoon. Spot the strong crosswind on the first landing filmed inside the plane at the last minute, forcing him into a go-around also known as a missed approach!




No comments:

Post a Comment